March means the start of the spring break season – one of the busiest for hotels nationwide, but particularly those in sunny, beachside locales. Are you ready for the onslaught of college students ready to have a great time and spend money in your hotel and local shops? MDM Lodging offers a few ideas for cashing in on this classic American tradition.
- Take your message “where the boys (and girls) are”: The 1960 film, Where the Boys Are, is credited with making spring break a nationwide collegiate tradition. Four female friends drive to Fort Lauderdale in hopes of having some fun in the sun and perhaps enjoying a week-long fling with a cute boy. Take a cue and take your message where virtually every college age individual is hanging out these days – on social media sites. Post your spring break promotions and specials, along with some convincing reasons for spending the annual holiday at your hotel.
- Look outside your front door: Connect with local restaurants, bars, night clubs and attractions that appeal to spring breakers and create co-promotions that benefit you both. Such guest perks might include discounts, free drinks or gift cards for your guests to enjoy.
- Take advantage of your captive audience: Use your hotel guestroom TVs and digital signage to let guests know about specials at your on-site restaurants, local events, area attractions, etc. It’ll add to your guests’ spring break experience and help take some of the burden off your already busy hotel staff.
- Play it safe: It’s an unfortunate fact that partying spring breakers can get out of hand. Make sure they and your other guests are safe by beefing up security. Post expectations of spring breakers to keep noise and late night shenanigans to a minimum and hire extra security for the March-April spring break season. You may even want to consider dedicating a particular floor or area for spring breakers. This will help minimize disturbances to other guests.
- Don’t forget your littlest guests: Remember that not all spring breakers are college students. Many families with school-age children take advantage of the spring break holiday, too. Help them enjoy their stay by offering family-friendly parties or events onsite, specials at your hotel restaurants and cafes, or discount deals to local kid-friendly attractions.
From all of us here at MDM Lodging, have a safe, fun and profitable spring break season!